Saturday, April 16, 2011

Detour - Halter Maxi



Sometimes you just gotta let your creative ideas run and make that detour you'd been thinking about. I actually bought this pattern two years ago and the fabric last summer. I kept seeing all these awesome maxi halter dresses everywhere and wanted one.

Two problems. 1) RTW just doesn't fit right and 2) it took me a year to find a halter bra IN MY SIZE that didn't suck. Having this kind of rack just isn't all its cracked up to me. A friend, in an attempt to motivate me to work out (I asked) mentioned jumping jacks. I looked at him like he'd lost his mind. "Seriously? I'd give myself a black eye!".

Joking aside. Reviews on Simplicity 3503 say that the pattern has a lot of design ease, and it does. However, I still had to do an FBA. Its for knits, so fairly forgiving but to avoid flashing too much it needed a bit of width and length in the best.

I went from this:

To This:

I'd like to thank Patty for all her detailed note taking on FBA's. Also note the back bodice piece I added a bit of width to as well(or is that length?). This isn't surprising given my normal tendency to have to lengthen things in the waist. Now I just need to master the art of lengthening waist + sway back adjustment. But that's for later. I cut this in a size 18 and then did the midriff and skirt portion in a 20, but I have a feeling I'm going to end up taking it in some. I'm also going to use some clear elastic in the long side seams. This is a wonderfully soft cotton knit but it also pulls under its own weight and so I'm going to need it for retaining shape.

Anyway, its all cut out and ready to be stitched up. I also have this crazy idea for a lace top and its all Tanit-Isis' fault.

2 comments:

  1. Muahaha! I'm tempted to take credit for the maxidress too, butThat might be stretching it ;). I just found out my MIL will be arriving later today, so there goes my weekend sewing. I have a house to clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Tanit-Isis - You aren't responsible for the initial maxi-dress lust but the 70's love did plant a bug in my brain. I think this will have that vibe once I'm done.

    ReplyDelete