Thursday, December 8, 2011

I Totally Made Pants!

I'm leh tired.
Ok, I managed to salvage these babies.  Also, this is the knit blouse I made several weeks back that is a bit large.  But comfy! Its warm and as long as I wear a camisole underneath I can wear it to work. And taking photos of yourself with a self-timer is totally a pain in the butt.  The ones that are in focus and I like I ended up cutting off my head. So the top photo is so you know that I'm not going headless on ya'll. Seriously.

Oh yeah, did I mention I went dark red again?  Here's some photos of the pattern adjustments I made on the pants.  In case you're just jumping in these are the Clover Pants from Colette's fall line of patterns.

Pencil line is where I changed the crotch depth, the two parallel lines are the height I'll be removing in the next pair.


Here the yellow chalk is what i took out on the sides. You can also see where I did a full derriere adjustment.
Ok, so what did I do to the pants?  Well, first off I took in almost an 3/4 inch on the hips. And then I took the center back in about 1/4 of an inch (For a total of half an inch? Make sense?).  I also had to do some adjustments on the front crotch. On my next pair I'll be taking about almost an inch in height for the front because I keep getting that sag that makes you want to yank your pants up. Its annoying but not devastatingly so. This is why I'm dubbing them my wearable muslin.

Headless Photos:


Ok, so this one isn't really headless.




Both these pieces of clothing while not on the top of my list for good fit are probably the most well put together. All my seams are finished. The neck binding on the blouse I was super happy with. I used this burdastyle tutorial.  I highly recommend it if you want to venture into knits. When I make this blouse again I'm going down a size and bra cup (its one of those Vogue Custom Fit deals). When the reviews said it had tonnes of ease they weren't kidding. I had to take in the sides by an inch. I also cut apart the top and bottom halves, took about an inch on the top half off, regathered and then sewed it back together using clear elastic. It probably doesn't help its a ribbed double knit and tends to grow.

Probably the most fun I had was using one of the tailor's tools Mom gave me called "Tailor's Clapper". Which kinda sounds like it would give you an STD. Really its an oblong shaped piece of wood that is flat on top/bottom for pounding layers of wool flat after steaming them so you get a really good crease (I don't think that description helped with the snickering, did it? Ya'll got dirty minds).  I'll take more photo details later but I'm just so excited that I finally finished something and it didn't completely suck. I had to share!

DID I MENTION I MADE PANTS???

3 comments:

  1. W00T! Looks good. I find for the self-timer photos I always try to take really wide shots and then crop them down later. The first pic is gorgeous ;).

    I really like the sweater. It looks warm and cozy.

    Mmm. Warm. Mmm...

    Don't mind me. Winter's finally setting in up here... :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. okay, i thought that first look was "I AM SUCH A BADASS" until i read the caption. go with badass, because YOU MADE PANTS!!!

    don't play around too much with that clapper. why are hot red heads always so trampy? sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tanit-Isis - I'm sending you warm weather thoughts! Or at least, snuggle inside the house thoughts.

    @Oona - You know, we like to bang things whenever we can.

    ReplyDelete