Sunday, February 26, 2012

Chicken Frosting

I think I may have mentioned I picked up a "Three in One" McCall's catalog at an antique store on our way up to the mountains. Its from 1943, and its the height of war-time frugal advice. I took several photos (cause its too big for the scanner) but I'm going to share just the one for now.

Second pic down it says "Without changing your favorite layer cake recipe at all, you can proceed  full speed ahead, using chicken fat as wartime shortening. Cream it with sugar." Mmm, tasty. 

Now, I will preface this by saying that when I was growing up Mom would save all the drippings from bacon and beef.  I don't remember her ever saving chicken fat, though.  I guess it makes sense cause as fats go,
 un-rendered is fairly flavorless. At least, when you don't have all the additives they put in it now.  I can see all the others they had listed but the frosting just threw me for a loop. REALLY?

Also, I the reason for my lack of posts lately is largely due to my lack of inspired sewing. I've been mulling over a list that's about 30 pieces long trying to figure out what to make for Spring.  I've narrowed it down to 10 now. Three skirts, three blouses, three dresses, and a jacket. Two of the skirts are a TNT pattern. Two dresses and a blouse will all be from the same pattern, so I'll get some assembly line going there. That will leave a lot of time left over for the fitting of the other things.  I think I'm going to start working on my Ralph Lauren inspired duster as well, but I'm hoping to get a bust form made before that. Its gonna involve plaster tape and paper mache'. Messy fun! (well... messy anyway).

What's on your spring sewing list?

No comments:

Post a Comment