Saturday, June 9, 2012

Its Recipe Time!

What my fridge looks like on Fridays (please ignore the cola cans...)
So, I know I've mentioned this before but I'm a member of a CSA.  The folks over at Spreading Oaks Farm are wonderful people. Not only do they grow vegetables but they raise chicken and cattle too, for free range eggs and beef.  And by the photo above you can see there's no shortage of fresh, local veggies in my house right now. The trick is cooking it in ways that everyone will eat, and preserving the rest for later. I've decided to share more of my culinary adventures with you lovely people!

First is my breakfast casserole, or Frittata.  I'm doing this all in "standard" measurements but there are lots of conversion websites out there. Eventually I'll get around to converting it but right now I'm feeling lazy.  I just cleaned BOTH kids' rooms.  More on that adventure later.


Potato and Kale Frittata

Ingredients:

1 medium potato
2 cups chopped kale*
8 eggs
1 tablespoon of half/half or milk
1/3 cup shaved parmesan or reggiono cheese (more or less to taste)
oil (any will do, but olive is best)

8x8 baking pan, sprayed with Pam (deep dish pie pan will do in a pinch)

Halve the potato and the slice as thinly as possible, leaving the skin on.  Remove stems and chop kale. Heat up a heavy skillet and add oil to the pan, enough to keep the potatoes from sticking.  Fry potatoes until just starting to brown around the edges, then add the kale.  You may need to add a bit more oil at this point, but saute until just wilted and then remove pan from heat and transfer to the baking pan to cool a bit while preparing the eggs.

Crack eggs into a bowl and add the cream.  Beat until nice and frothy, much like you would with an omelet. Add salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste.  Pour the eggs over the veggies in the pan, stirring a bit to mix.  Sprinkle cheese on top and then bake in the oven at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until firm in the center.  When this is done I usually set it under the broiler for about 3-5 minutes to make the cheese crisp and flavorful, but this is optional.  This will feed four people or two ravenous growing children. It will keep covered in the fridge for about two days, reheats just fine.

*The great thing about this dish is you can use just about any vegetable, even add sausage.  Spinach and green peppers I would not bother to cook ahead, but just add to the eggs. This is also easy to add more eggs to cover more veggies and feed more people, or vice-verse.

No comments:

Post a Comment