Sunday, November 4, 2012

What Have I Been Up To?

To be perfectly honest, I've been up to a lot but it feels like I'm spinning my tires in mud for all the good its doing. I got my house organized and cleaned up only to end up with piles of boxes since I agreed to store things for a friend*. She gifted her smaller of two beds to Felicity, which was wonderful of her, as an early Christmas present, and now Simon has access to all of her manga (in book form) and he's a happy camper
too.

Felicity's new bed with a puff quilt by my Mother underneath the stars quilt by my mother-in-law. 

I, on the other hand, have been battling my own brain chemistry.  The unfortunate events happening to friends + getting turned down for a promotion at work blew chunks. Also, I've been worrying (for all the good it does) about everyone affected by Superstorm Sandy, including my niece. She's fine, and the only person that I communicate personally with that hasn't been accounted for is Oona, so if you are reading this, HOLLA BACK LADY! I'm worried sick about you!  But yeah, brain chemistry is no joke.  I spent years self regulating through diet/exercise and when they put me on Elevil for sleep problems due to chronic pain I also discovered a whole world of anti-anxiety and what it was like.  I'm thinking that we may need to adjust my meds now, I'm not sure. I'm slowly getting back on diet and exercise regime that I was on before Mom died, that seems to be helping too.  So, that's all part of my radio silence.

So on to the good stuff. I finally finished the cropped jacket! YAY!! That only took me almost two years. *chortle*  I love it and have several items planned to make to go along with it. Here's a few instagram/phone photos, cause I couldn't be arsed to bring out the good camera.

mmm, self made piping!

Before adding the lining and hemming sleeves

THE FINISHED PRODUCT!
In making this jacket I discovered I need to have broader shoulders on my dress form. Yes indeed. I also regret that I didn't block fuse the entirety of the jacket instead of just what it called for on the instructions. Leh Sigh.  In all, I did a combination of couture and RTW tailoring.  It fits, looks nice. I'm happy with it.

OH OH OH!!! And for those of you following me on Facebook and Instagram may have already seen this, but Dad finished my shelves and cutting table. I'm stoked!  Lots of photos:


The white cubes are from Michaels, not from Dad, but this arrangement was what I had in mind when we were working out specifications. The black spot on the floor is a hair scrunchie.


Check it out, a space to hold BOLTS and my cardboard matt, and the wax paper.

Add caption
 You can't really see it, but the bottom shelf  has my Mom's machine and the Bernina serger. Its no longer kicking around on the floor.


Seasonal fabric rotation will happen here.


Action shot from when I was doing my layout. 

Best part about this is I can take the rotary mat off and block fuse on the table. WOOT!



This is what it looks like now with my old curtains now acting as a skirt of sorts.  I used upholstery tacks. Now I don't have to worry about the sun fading my fabric. YAY!

Peek-a-boo
Oh, lets see, what else? Oh, I made a Renfrew wearable muslin.  I did an FBA using VickiKateMakes tutorial.  I'm about to transfer it over to the view A+C version, as I did B here.



I'm just going to pretend that gathering in the center was intentional. While there's not much stretch to this linen/poly blend (2.98 a yard fabricmartfabrics.com), its too light weight.  I can wear a skin-tone cami under it and its solves most of my issues, but otherwise it needs knit with substance.

So, I have a few more Renfrews of the cowl neck variety planned, a beignet, and then I'm starting on Felicity's coat.  I finally was able to order the lambs wool interlining.  My daughter doesn't like the cold so much. While she inherited my hair (she's slowly getting more and more red, like i did) and build, she inherited her father's melanin and ability to tan and her paternal Grandmother's distaste for cold weather. Harrumph.

So tell me, what are y'all up to? What do you have planned for the next few weeks of holidays? Or as I stole from a friend "The Gauntlet".

*Its involved a lot of drama that I am not going to discuss on a public forum. Its a family matter, 'nuff said.

8 comments:

  1. WHAT IS UP LADY!!!! the rugster and i are doing fine, we just had a crazy week, a little internet loss, lots of shuffling round (it was ruggy's bday week). we're almost back up to speed. did you email me? i think i lost messages in all the hubbub.

    now, YOU, girl, use that fantastic new cutting space. it's hard not to think abput everything going on, but it's even harder to fix it all. i've decided that if i can muster a happy putlook, that in itself lifts peeps up. (that said be sad if you need to.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you are OK! I did not email me, though I did send some pings via other social media. I could'a emailed you, huh? I'm totally miss smarty pants lately. (not)

      Oh, and I totally plan to utilize the space! My husband pointed out that feeling guilty about shirking cleaning duties in order to do something I love is counter productive. When Mama's happy, everyone is happy!

      Delete
  2. I love your cut table and am envious ;) I hope things calm down a bit for you before the holiday craziness begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm almost envious of myself, if that's possible, since life keeps me away from the lovely table. ARRG. Oh, and my holiday madness has already begun.

      Delete
  3. You have been a busy lady! You should be very pleased with your efforts m'dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I typed it all out I was all "Hey, wow. That's a lot!" Next up: Outfit posts!

      Delete
  4. That's a pretty cool work table!

    ReplyDelete