Friday, July 25, 2014

Kitschy Coo Hacks: The Cowl Neck Maxi in Blue


Hello Sailor.
 y'all. Y'ALL. This is like, my favorite knit garment I've ever made, FOR SERIOUS. Its a combination of Kitschy Coo patterns that have been modified from the original. The bodice is from the Lady Skater but I used a Threads tutorial to create a cowl neck.




The skirt is the maxi version of the Camino Cap, but this time I had enough to go all the way to the floor.  The fabric is a navy blue bamboo rayon from Fabric.com, its one of their reorderable medium weights that aren't quite so clingy as other rayons. Still, if I'm going to wear it out and about it needs proper foundation garments for a smooth silhouette.  And I have, in fact, already worn this to work.  It was a bit bizarre because if ever staring was audible, it was that day. No one actually complimented the dress, but one lady on the elevator had her mouth open. When she realized I was looking at her she said 'Your hair is... amazing".

I was like "Um, thanks! Oh hey look this is my floor".  Cause I suck at taking compliments, its taken years to learn to just say thank you.


This fabric drapes beautifully,  I might add. LOVE IT. Let's see what else? Ah yes, I used clear elastic at the shoulders and the waist for stability. I did cut the bodice two inches shorter to have it hit at the right place with the weight of the full skirt. I just did a rolled hem on the serger because this is a knit and well, I was feeling lazy. Wanted to WEAR IT NOW!

This is the "Would you please do something about your dog barking all fucking day" face. Seriously people, if you are going to have a pet, don't neglect them!!

I want like, a closet full of these! I'm wearing it around the house right now and I can be active and do things in it without worrying. If I'm cooking there are aprons for a reason!  I also know that y'all are going to ask me about a tutorial, I've already mentioned to Amanda (Of Kitschy Coo) that I'm game. The kids are away with their Grandma this week going road tripping, so its been quiet and I've been concentrating on the six things already cut out. Yes, SIX. Crazy, I know. I have another hand full of things I've not yet blogged and need to share!  I've started working out again now that my pain management doctor has agreed that it will take more pain meds in the short term but be beneficial in the long term. I'm pretty determined to make that uphill journey for a second time (the first was before Mom went into hospice).

So tell me, have you ever hacked a pattern until is was barely recognizable from the original? Did you like it afterward?

Stay tuned, later this week I have photos for Oonapalooza!

9 comments:

  1. HOW DID YOU GET SLEEVES ON IT, WOMAN??? TELL ME THE DETAILS I NEED TO KNOW TO COPY YOU! I mean, you look stunning, and totally uniquely you, and it is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This dress looks SO FABULOUS on you!! Well done! I think this is my favorite thing I've seen you in, and even better I bet it's delightful to wear too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful color and such a wonderfully simple yet elegant dress! I can't believe someone would just go with a compliment on your hair when you were wearing this - too funny!

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow - this looks amazing on you! no wonder people were staring!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OH LADY BE GOOD. jaw dropped, don't want to pick it up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just hacked the Lady Skater too so now it looks like a moneta/anna dress combo! I just blogged it this week and it is my new favourite wardrobe item!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE this! love the colour on you, and what you've done with your pattern-hacking worked really well.

    ReplyDelete